Monday, 3 February 2014

Review: The Body Shop Rainforest Balance Haircare Set

Always on the lookout for new options which won't irritate my eczema-prone skin, I picked up the Rainforest Balance Haircare Set from The Body Shop in the sales in January. I've been testing the shampoo and conditioner duo out over the past couple of weeks and wanted to share how I've been getting on!
The Body Shop Rainforest Balance Review
Rainforest Balance Review TBS
TBS Rainforest Balance Set Review
Packaged in a cardboard box giving you all the details and ingredients, the Rainforest Balance set contains two 60ml bottles of shampoo, two 60ml bottles of conditioner, and a comb. According to the box, these products will, "Rebalance oily hair to leave it clean and fresh all day. New Rainforest Balance Hair Care range includes pracaxi oil, white nettle and Community Trade ingredients. No silicones, parabens or colourants." The products also feature eco-friendly packaging, which is an important factor for me.
TBS Rainforest Balance Review
I felt that the comb was a nice inclusion; believe it or not, I didn't actually own a comb prior to this one, opting to just comb my hair with my fingers after washing it. I've found that this has done a great job of detangling my hair whilst it's still wet, making my life much easier after drying my hair. If you already own a comb or two then obviously this might be an unnecessary inclusion, but for me it was an extra which I appreciated.
Review TBS Rainforest Balance Set
"Cleanses to reduce excess oil for hair that looks clean and fresh all day. Mix in the ahnds with water. Work through hair. Rinse thoroughly." The shampoo is clear in colour and quite a thick consistency; as recommended, I've found it best to lather it slightly between my hands before working through my hair. It's still harder than I would ideally like to work it through my hair, but it's not impossible, and it's definitely easier on the second shampoo. The product has a light scent to it, which is pleasant whilst using but doesn't linger on the hair. After rinsing, my hair feels well-cleaned and quite soft.
The Body Shop Rainforest Balance
"Lightly conditions to reduce excess oil, leaving hair fresh all day without weighing it down. Mix in the hands with water. Work through hair. Rinse thoroughly." The conditioner is a thick, white cream with a similar scent to the shampoo; I actually found it quite difficult to get it out of the bottle, it was so thick! Obviously I've only used the miniature versions so that may not be a problem in the same way with the full-size products. I found that the ends of my hair literally drank this up; I think this is the first conditioner EVER where I've finished the bottle at the same time as the shampoo, usually shampoo goes twice as quickly. This unfortunately didn't feel hydrating enough for my dry ends, but if your hair is shorter, less thick, or less dry at the ends than mine, then you shouldn't have a problem. The conditioner still did a good job of smoothing and de-tangling, but I've definitely had to follow it with a leave-in conditioner to keep my ends happy.
TBS Rainforest Balance Haircare
Once I've dried my hair, I've found that my roots still feel slightly oily and if I wash my hair in the evening, I need to use dry shampoo by the next morning; I know my hair is oily, but that's some going even by my standards! For this reason, I wouldn't repurchase these products; the shampoo didn't do anything to help my oily scalp, and the conditioner wasn't hydrating enough for my dry ends. I feel like if your scalp is only slightly oily and your ends are normal rather than dry, this would be a great set, but for me it just wasn't quite right.
The Rainforest Balance Shampoo and Conditioner are available to purchase from The Body Shop priced at £4.50 each for 250ml of product, making them an affordable option for those who prefer to avoid SLS in their products.
Have you tried the Rainforest Balance range? What did you think? Do you have any recommendations for SLS-free shampoo for oily hair?

xo

6 comments:

  1. I've never tried any of the hair stuff from the body shop, mush as I love their body products. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like these would quite cut it for my really dry hair either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound pretty good but I think my hair probably wouldn't like them! My scalp can get pretty irritated by certain shampoos too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried the balance versions, but I love the shine and moisture rainforest ranges - they are moisturising yet don't leave my hair greasy! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of this and the name is really lovely, but I have a pretty sensitive scalp at times so am careful what I use x
    Beautyqueenuk xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only hair product I've used from The Body Shop is the banana shampoo and this post has just reminded me how much I love it. I've been tempted to try something from this range but I don't think it would be quite right for my hair either

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to leave a comment - I always try to return the favour, but please no 'follow for follow' comments - they will be marked as spam.
I ask that you don't leave blog links in comments, as according to Google's new rules this harms both your and my page rank. Thank you! ♥